Saturday, November 29, 2008

Brian and His Adventure

Don't tell Brian that it is December.



This is the time of year when most people settle in and begin to hibernate for the winter. There are also exceptions to every rule and some are ramping it up instead of settling down. One such person is my son, Brian. He and his friend, Greg are leaving tonight to hike the Superior Trail. They have prepared 16 different food packages and tomorrow will be spent hanging them along the trail in strategic locations. Starting Monday they will begin at the north end of the trail and plan to hike the whole 200 miles and then turn around and hike back to where they began, completing the hike by December 20.


Traveling light is what it is all about. Not counting food, their packs are weighing no more than 16 pounds and that includes everything a hiker would need for the journey. I am wondering how many pounds my pack might weigh if I were taking off for a 20 day hike? I suppose the essentials of life would take on a new meaning but since I kind of like the comforts of home I guess I will never know.

As a mom, you can know for sure that I will be trusting the Lord to give me peace and will be praying for God to watch over and care for my hiker son.

No comments: